Established in 2020 and targeting total investor commitments of ZAR1.5 B, the Education Investment Impact Fund of South Africa (EduFund) is OMAI’s second education impact fund, building on the success of its preceding fund with an expanded mandate, including independent schools, tertiary education and ancillary education services.
EduFund’s objective is to provide investors with competitive risk-adjusted returns by making investments that improve the quality of education in South Africa, across selected sub-sectors and market segments.
EduFund also seeks to make a positive social impact through contributing to employment creation, transformation and environmental sustainability.
EduFund aspires to make a positive impact in the education sector in South Africa, across selected sub-sectors and market segments, as well as meeting other socially responsible investment objectives, such as contributing to employment creation, transformation and environmental sustainability.
We are proud of the impact that Edufund has made to date:
- Financed and invested in 8 schools.
- Projecting 5,000 learners from current commitments.
- Targeting at least 27,000 learner opportunities
- Currently employing 250 permanent staff.
- Three out of four current school operators are 100% black owned and one 50% black owned.
EduFund is constructing its portfolio to maximize both investor outcomes and education impact.
The EduFund mandate enables it to diversify its portfolio across:
- Sub-sectors (schools, tertiary education and ancillary education services)
- Market segments (Affordable and Middle-Income)
- Instruments (debt and equity)
EduFund will further seek to diversify geographically within South Africa, and across a selection of specialist education operators, to ensure the best investment and impact outcomes for its investors.
EduFund has concluded four investments to date, in support of 8 new schools with a capacity for 5,000 learners.