Established in 2011 with ZAR 1.4 B of investor commitments, the Schools and Education Investment Impact Fund South Africa (SEIIFSA) is the first and largest education impact fund in South Africa.
SEIIFSA’s objective is to provide investors with attractive risk-adjusted returns by making investments that improve the quality of education in South Africa, with a primary focus on the upgrading of existing or building of new independent schools in the Affordable Market segment.
SEIIFSA also seeks to make a positive social impact through contributing to employment creation, gender equality, transformation and environmental sustainability.
SEIIFSA aspires to make a positive impact in the education sector in South Africa as well as meeting other socially responsible investment objectives, such as contributing to employment creation, gender equality, transformation and environmental sustainability.
We are proud of the impact SEIIFSA has made to date:
- Financed and invested in 39 schools
- 90% of portfolio schools operate in the Affordable Market segment
- Currently 22,800 learners and projecting 30,800 learners by the end of the Fund Term
- Currently employing 1,300 permanent staff and projecting 1,600 permanent staff by the end of the Fund Term
- Matric pass rate in 2019 of 92% versus National Average of 81%
- University exemption in 2019 of 48% versus National Average of 37%
- 6,700 matric passes and 2,900 university exemption passes since inception
- Three out of seven current school operators are 100% Black Owned
SEIIFSA has constructed its investment portfolio to maximize both investor outcomes and education impact.
Its portfolio is diversified across eight investments and thirty-nine schools, in seven provinces, managed by seven specialist operators, three of which are 100% Black Owned.
SEIIFSA is further diversified across debt and equity investments, providing investors with a stable return with good upside potential.