Established in 2011 with ZAR 1.4 B of investor commitments, the Schools and Education Investment Impact Fund South Africa (SEIIFSA) is the first and largest education impact fund in South Africa.
SEIIFSA’s objective is to provide investors with attractive risk-adjusted returns by making investments that improve the quality of education in South Africa, with a primary focus on the upgrading of existing or building of new independent schools in the Affordable Market segment.
SEIIFSA also seeks to make a positive social impact through contributing to employment creation, gender equality, transformation and environmental sustainability.
SEIIFSA aspires to make a positive impact in the education sector in South Africa as well as meeting other socially responsible investment objectives, such as contributing to employment creation, gender equality, transformation and environmental sustainability.
We are proud of the impact SEIIFSA has made to date:
- Financed and invested in 39 schools
- 90% of portfolio schools operate in the Affordable Market segment
- Currently 23,600 learners and projecting 30,000 learners by the end of the Fund Term
- Currently employing 1,600 permanent staff
- Matric pass rate in 2021 of 92% versus National Average of 76%
- University exemption in 2021 of 59% versus National Average of 36%
- 8,000 matric passes and 4,200 university exemption passes since inception
- Three out of six current school operators are 100% Black Owned
SEIIFSA has constructed its investment portfolio to maximize both investor outcomes and education impact.
Its portfolio is diversified across seven investments and thirty-nine schools, in seven provinces, managed by six specialist operators, three of which are 100% Black Owned.
SEIIFSA is further diversified across debt and equity investments, providing investors with a stable return with good upside potential.